Volunteers are what make Sustainable Food Center so successful! Every year, SFC relies on the energy and time of hundreds of volunteers to keep our programs going. Without their devotion, SFC would not be able to help more than 350,000 Central Texans access healthy, affordable, locally-grown food annually.
All new volunteers are required to attend a Volunteer Orientation. See below for a list of upcoming Volunteer Orientation sessions and RSVP to attend. See below for a list of our upcoming orientation sessions:
- August 20, 2014, 5:30-6:30pm. Click here to RSVP »
- September 16, 2014, 5:30-6:30pm. Click here to RSVP »
- October 21, 2014, 5:30-6:30pm. Click here to RSVP »
- November 18, 2014, 5:30-6:30pm. Click here to RSVP»
- December 16, 2014, 5:30-6:30pm. Click here to RSVP »
All orientations are held at the SFC Training Facility, 2921 E. 17th St, Building C (off MLK Blvd and Miriam Street). View map.
Sustainable Food Center will now be obtaining a criminal background check (CBC) for all potential interns and volunteers. The information will remain entirely confidential. All applicants will be responsible for a $10.00 administrative fee which is applied toward the cost of the on-boarding process. Please bring $10 and fill out the CBC form at the next Volunteer Orientation session. Email Paula if you have any questions.
Volunteer Opportunities vary from week to week and month to month. SFC offers episodic opportunities on any given day of the week as well as committed on-going opportunities.
Some examples of episodic opportunities include:
- Presenters and Booth Staffers for Community Outreach Events
- Lead Nutritional Demonstrations for kids and families
- Chef demo assistance
- Garden beautification days
- Assistants for Basic Organic Gardening & Citizen Gardener classes
- Spanish-English translators
- Kids’ Activity Leaders
Some on-going opportunities include:
- Information Booth at the SFC Farmers’ Markets
- Taste the Place Tent
- Office Volunteers for Data Entry
- School Garden Volunteers
- General Administrative Volunteers
Group Volunteer Opportunities/Corporate Development
If you are a group looking for a ½ day project, contact Paula to set up a time and opportunity. SFC offers several group projects throughout the year. Groups do not need to go through an orientation, but will be trained on-site. SFC accepts groups of 15 and more. Opportunities for group volunteers revolve often take place in our Teaching Garden.
Citizen Gardener Volunteers
Are you a Citizen Gardener student looking for volunteer opportunities to fulfill your 10 hours of service? No need to attend a volunteer orientation. You can volunteer with SFC for hands-on garden/farm related volunteer opportunities and receive credit towards your class requirements; you can also view the Citizen Gardener Upcoming Opportunities page for more information and visit a list of Partner Gardens you can volunteer at. To register for upcoming class visit our upcoming classes page.