The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre®, a nationally recognized cooking and nutrition education program, aids individuals and institutions in making lasting dietary and behavioral changes.
About The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre®
Food is confidence. The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre® is a place where people come together to learn skills and self-sufficiency in preparing healthy, economical meals, laugh, cook, and enjoy food together.
We envision a future where everyone engages with their food system through cooking and healthy eating.
Through SFC’s The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre® our free community cooking and nutrition classes, and in the public classes that fund them, we offer an opportunity to reconnect to food, community, and forgotten skills.
Want to get cooking?
- Take a cooking class. We offer hands-on, affordable and practical classes that focus on building fundamental skills. Knife skills? How to cut up a whole chicken from the farmers’ market? How to cook seasonally? We’ve got you covered! Click here for our schedule.
- Bring a six week cooking and nutrition education series to your community. Taught by trained facilitators in either English or Spanish, the class series emphasizes the selection and preparation of fresh, seasonal foods that are nutritious, economical, and delicious. These grant-funded classes are free for participants, and are offered in specific communities in Austin. If you would like information on bringing a six-week class series to your community, please contact us.
- Bring Worksite Wellness to your workplace. The Happy Kitchen offers fun, interactive cooking and nutrition classes at various worksites in the Austin area. If you would like information on bringing these classes to your worksite, please contact us.
- Plan a private class. Whether you are organizing a team-building experience for your staff, or want to do something special for your birthday, we have fun, practical, hands-on classes that will fit any occasion. Please contact us for more information.
- Stay in touch. Sign up to receive information about upcoming classes, recipes, news, and event updates from Sustainable Food Center.