Sustainable Food Center (SFC) cultivates a healthy community by strengthening the local food system and improving access to nutritious, affordable food. SFC’s Grow Local program offers the resources and education to enable children and adults in Central Texas to develop skills in organic food production, as well as an understanding of the importance of local food production for the health and well-being of themselves, their families and community, and the environment. We are looking for a dynamic, English-Spanish bilingual, organized individual to coordinate Grow Local’s classes and trainings, manage the Citizen Gardener program, and provide support to new and existing community gardens.
The Education & Community Garden Coordinator AmeriCorps*VISTA will oversee administration of Grow Local’s organic food gardening classes and garden leadership trainings, including the Citizen Gardener education and volunteering program. The VISTA will also share responsibility for coordinating SFC’s fiscal sponsorship of community gardens and offering support to new and existing community gardens in the Austin area. Additionally, the VISTA will help enhance and expand Grow Local’s class and outreach materials to make them more culturally relevant and appropriate for recent-immigrant and/or low-income Austin residents.
- Coordinate scheduling and logistics for Basic Organic Gardening, Citizen Gardener, and specialized topic gardening classes and for School and Community Garden Leadership trainings
- Coordinate Basic Organic Gardening and Citizen Gardener teacher trainings
- Oversee and track Citizen Gardener volunteer hours
- Administrate Citizen Gardener Facebook page and newsletter
- Assist with planning and logistics of Citizen Gardener graduation events
- Conduct outreach, material preparation, and follow-up for all Grow Local classes
- Assist with enhancement and expansion of Grow Local class and outreach materials to improve cultural relevance and appropriateness for recent-immigrant and/or low-income Austin residents
- >Revise and update class materials in English and Spanish as needed
- Create and distribute Grow Local Gardening Information email
- Manage SFC community garden sponsorship
- Assist with development and implementation of expanded assistance protocol for community gardens
- Bachelor of Arts or Sciences or appropriate experience
- MUST be bilingual (English/Spanish). Excellent written and oral communication skills in both languages.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team>
- Strong time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong fiscal management skills
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office (proficiency in Adobe InDesign & web application is a plus)
- Knowledge and experience with food gardening, farm-to-school, and healthy cooking preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Reliable transportation
- Dedicated team-player who is culturally sensitive
- Dynamic personality with good sense of humor and appreciation for healthy, local food.
Compensation: Sustainable Food Center is an equal opportunity employer; women and people of color are encouraged to apply. This is a full-time (40 hours per week), one-year position. Serving as an AmeriCorps*VISTA member, you are eligible for the following: living allowance of $11,136 per year, health insurance, childcare assistance, professional development opportunities, student loan deferment, assistance with relocation costs, and, upon completion of the program, a choice of a $5,550 education award or a $1,500 cash stipend.
Apply through AmeriCorps website: https://my.americorps.gov/ AND
Email resume, cover letter, three references, and a Spanish/English writing sample (1 page) to Sari Albornoz, Grow Local Director at sari AT sustainablefoodcenter DOT org.
No phone calls, por favor.
Applications accepted until May 20, 2013. Position begins August 13, 2013.
To learn more about Sustainable Food Center, go to: www.sustainablefoodcenter.org. To learn more about VISTA, go to http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp